Thursday 6 December 2007

Lemon Creams with Cherry Compote...











Not sure how well this translates in pictures but take my word for it, it was yummy. Very refreshing, creamy, smooth, sweet and tart at the same time and just so easy!!


I put it in my white "love dove" mould which I got at an op shop years ago. I usually hangs on my kitchen wall when not in use. I spooned it out into serving plates and this is such a soft set that I was afraid it would not hold it's shape. If you really wanted it to shape, you could try using gelatin leaves... I think it's one sheet per cup of liquid...

Ingredients:
875ml or 1 1/2 pt double/thick cream (35 per cent fat content)
finely grated zest and juice of 2-3 lemons
170g or 6oz caster sugar

Cherries to serve, I had both fresh and compote. I had purchase the compote in a deli and they were very sweet but richly coloured. I also used ginger biscuits to serve with for added texture.

Method:
In a saucepan, heat the cream to 75C or 165F. Remove from heat and cool to 65C or 150F.


Add the lemon zest, juice and sugar to the cream mixture and mix well. Allow to cool, then pour into moulds, glasses or bowl. Now refridgerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.


You have to love a recipe that has only three basic ingredients and takes less than half an hour to get ready as well as being able to make it in advance!!! It is perfect for this time of year when you want something cool for after lunch or dinner.
I was having new friends over for the first time and I served this with "steak sandwiches". I bought an extra large baguette and filled it with fillet steak, caramelized onions, mayonaise, seeded mustard and mixed baby lettuce. I think I was supposed to add tomato but I did not get around to it but you feel free to do so... I served the baguette whole on a wooden chopping board and allowed my guests to cut "slices" and serve themselves. I hope they enjoyed it... they were far too polite to say they didn't... I had invited them over for a drink and in the end, drinks were exactly what I forgot to serve... all afternoon without so much as a glass of water and it was 35 degrees outside at the least... I am NOT the hostess with the mostess!!!


Vida x

11 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm sure your guests would have forgiven your forgetfulness by the time dessert rolled around! Definitely a great idea for summer.

Paul said...

Mike and I are terribly upset you didn't invite us. That lemon cream looks divine ;). XXX

Vida said...

Cindy, they are forgiving friends though you would not know it by Paul's comment!!!!!! Vida x x x

Paul, I can't just invite ANYONE to my home!!! You have to understand it is only my special friends I invite and make luscious lemony desserts for and on the SECOND visit, I give them something to drink!!!! Vida x x x

Tony said...

I *love* a good steak sandwich. I'm salivating now :P

Vida said...

Anthony, I think the boys enjoyed it!!! I did not eat as I am always on edge the first time I make food for people but I did eat dessert!!! I thought the dessert would have been more up your alley as it is a do ahead of time number. Vida x

Gloria Baker said...

This dessert looks so yummy Vida!!! is very nice. Gloria xx

Vida said...

Thanks a lot Gloria, you are always very kind with your comments! Vida x x x

neil said...

I'm sure your new friends will become old ones in time. That dessert is so decadent, love the cherry idea too.

Vida said...

Neil, thanks and I think you are very wise! I got the cherrie compote from Russian Tidbits in Koornang Road, Carnegie. It's a great Russian deli and they do their own smoked and preserved meats and sausages. Vida x

Hungry Hamster said...

It does look yum!! Your photos are getting more and more beautiful everyday!

Vida said...

Hungry Hampster, thank you so much! Vida x