Thursday 8 November 2007

Slimming Summer Salad...



We had had some lovely summery days and these days call for salads... honestly that is the only reason...





Well maybe... because the doctor is on my back to lose weight and reduce my cholesterol etc...


So Asian salads seem to be the best way to go and this one was pretty good...
400g fillet steak
marinated in 4 tbls of hoi sin sauce for a couple of hours.

200g glass noodles soaked in boiling water then refreshed with cold water and drained

I lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
1 cup corriander leaves
2 long red chillies finely sliced
4 tbls crushed roasted peanuts
2 tbls fried shallots

Dressing
3-4 tbls grated palm sugar
juice of 2 limes
3 tbls fish sauce

Fry off beef. (I had sliced this thinly and it only took a couple of minutes)
Put cucumber, chillies, corriander and noodles into a bowl and dress with the dressing. Add your beef and mix it all up as best you can. Lastly scatter peanuts and shallots over the top and munch away....

Vida x

13 comments:

Tony said...

Nice blog! I found it via Gloria's from Chile. Your dishes certainly look impressive. I've just stolen one of your recipies for a dinner party on the weekend :-)

Vida said...

Welcome Anthony, and you can steal any recipe anytime, knock yourself out!! I am married to a Chilean man, hence the connection to Gloria. Glad you found me and have a great dinner party! Vida x

Tony said...

Thanks ... I will do! I was actually born in St. Kilda (and they are my football team) so there's our connection ;-)

Christie said...

yum! looks fantastic, love the new look yellow too! x

Vida said...

Anthony, what a small world we live in!!! The friends in London are from Melbourne too! I am a die hard Collingwood supporter... don't want to hear any flack about it either... Look forward to meeting you someday... Vida x

Darling Christie, it can be your birthday lunch if you so wish... You can have anything you like and my offer to bake you a cake still stands... I am more confident to bake for you than Roger!! I love the yellow too, it's like sunshine, speaking of which, today is filled with it and I LOVE it, bring on summer!!! Vida, kiss those babies for me please x x x x

Hungry Hamster said...

That looks absolutely beautiful! Good for my waistline too!

Vida said...

Hello HH, it was very yummy and all got eaten up very quickly... the cheesecake ended up going to school with my daughter for the senior citizens morning tea they held... thank goodness I did not have to eat it all by myself... Vida x

KellytheCulinarian said...

Sounds delicious!~

Steve Wallis said...

Hey Vida,
Greetings from very cold blighty - thanks for your post, sounds like your bloggers get together will be fun, wish I could come too. This salad looks fabulous btw, will certainly have a go at it as I'm a big fan of Asian flavours.
Speak soon,
Steven. X

Vida said...

Hi Steven, I imagine it's cold there, sorry but I have to tell you I went to the beach and baked today, that's how nice it was here, not rubbing it in or anything!!! Will post photos tomorrow, it was fun meeting everyone and putting faces to blog names and asking millions of questions... ate too much too... Vida x x

stickyfingers said...

That looks yummy - admittedly very like the stuff we eat at home when dieting too. We put on so much weight in the Barossa just before the Bloggers Banquet - with all that rich food and lots of lovely wine - and now has put paid to out waistlines. Don't think the Doctor is going to like the sound of your tour of South American Bakeries in the suburbs but sounds like a lovely adventure to me..LOL!

Oh well, back to the gym for me...sigh.

stickyfingers said...

Sorry I meant to say that the vanilla slice blog has now put paid to our waistlines

Vida said...

Oh Sticky, how can we resist all the beautiful food of this world!?! I will not be eating on the tour!!! Purely for the education of others!! Vida x x x