Friday 30 November 2007

Yoghurt Cake in thanks to Mrs Stickyfingers...

Mrs Stickyfingers of http://www.deepdishdreams.blogspot.com/ was kind enough to give me a recipe of a cake she posted on her blog, even though she was extremely busy when I asked, she somehow found the time and energy to post the recipe and I am extremely grateful. So it is with gratitude that I post this recipe in exchange.

I will start by saying that there are many versions of Turkish yoghurt cakes. This version is like a light, airy, lemony cheesecake and comes to us curtesy of Claudia Roden.

4 large eggs, seperated
100g caster sugar
3 tablespoons plain flour
Grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
400g Greek-style yoghurt (I got mine at Cleo's deli at the Prahran Market) try King Island Dairy as a substitute but not the white, sour, Greek yoghurt from the supermarket, it's just not nearly as luscious, AND as Mrs Stickyfingers once described me as luscious (or did she say I was a lush?!?!?) then we must use luscious yoghurt and nothing else!!!

Heat oven to 180 c

In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar to a thick, pale cream. Beat in the flour, then the yoghurt, lemon zest and lemon juice until thoroughly blended.

Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the yoghurt mixture. Pour this into a round non-stick baking tin (about 23cm) greased with butter or lined with baking paper. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the top is brown. This cake will puff up like a souffle', then subside. Let it cool, then turn out onto a serving plate.

I serve this with more yoghurt and a citrus salad or you can use cream or ice cream. Today I added blueberries to bring out the colours in the serving plate.

Enjoy Mr and Mrs Stickyfingers.

Vida x

11 comments:

claire said...

Gorgeous photo, Vida!!

I'm sure the cake tastes great, too... :)
xx claire

Vida said...

Thanks Claire, I will have to put you on the list, any requests?? I can post a recipe for all the bloggers in time... Vida x

stickyfingers said...

You are Luscious! As is that cake by the look of it, I'll be sure to give it a try - how much flour do you use?

Vida said...

Hey Sticky, so little flour, I thought it wasn't worth mentioning, 3 tablespoons, SORRY!!! I just wanted to see if anybody ever REALLY read the recipe so I like to miss an ingredient from time to time just to check... (NOT!!)... Vida x

Tony said...

As it has yoghurt, does that mean it's a health food? :-p

Vida said...

And fruit darl, so I think you could actually lose weight eating it!!!! Vida x x

Gloria Baker said...

Vida this looks so yummy!! Gloria

Tony said...

Yes, that's noi-ce, different, un-use-ual

Vida said...

Anthony are you related to those girls??? Love your work!!! Vida x

Gloria, I just took some blogger friends to 3 Chilean bakeries and 1 Argentinian bakery. I think they really enjoyed it! Vida x x x

Nora B. said...

Hi Vida,

wow, i know that I will love this cake. I've made lots using yogurt, but not like this (without flour). Can't wait to try it.

Nora

Vida said...

Nora, I mistakenly left out the flour in the recipe but it's in there now, it's just three tablespoons but it does help to hold it all together.. Vida x